We’re Hiring: Development Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Development
LOCATION: Headquarter Office, Alexandria, VA
ORGANIZATION PROFILE: Christian Relief Services Charities (CRSC) was established in 1985 and is a non-denominational, non-profit human service organization. Its mission is to support the efforts of its charitable affiliates to answer urgent needs for housing, food, water and medical care around the world as well as to support programs that address the long-term sustainability of communities locally and internationally. To learn more about Christian Relief Services Charities, visit its website at www.crscfamily.org.
POSITION SUMMARY: Seeking a detail-focused and highly organized professional with a track record of generating funds to assume the new role of Development Manager. This new position will work closely with the Development Team in all aspects of fundraising to increase resources and to ensure that the organization’s supporters have a positive and rewarding philanthropic experience. The successful candidate will support the Director of Development with various fundraising initiatives and work closely with CRSC’ affiliate Executive Directors to submit grant proposals. This position will also be expected to utilize established systems for tracking and recording donor-related activities.
- Manage a portfolio of mid-level donors and implement a consistent stewardship program.
- Work closely with the Development Team to implement a donor acquisition program.
- Perform project management duties such as generating letters and reports, working with spreadsheets and other documents related to fundraising, including direct mail appeals, quarterly donor newsletters, gift recognition and acknowledgement, and special events.
- In collaboration with the Development Director and Program Directors, draft content for web postings, e-newsletters, and annual reports.
- Lead the in-kind procurement of goods from corporations.
- Oversee the management of the Donor Database and accurately enter and update donor related information in the database.
- Interact with Department Directors and other internal staff and external agencies and organizations as needed in coordination of development-related projects.
- Represent CRSC and the Development Department in a professional manner internally and externally (staff, vendors, donors, prospects, visitors, and clients).
- Serve as information center for the Development Department; provide information to internal and external constituents with an emphasis on customer service.
- Ensure that income and expenses, as well as donor stewardship, is handled in accordance with internal policies and procedures for proper money handling.
- Organize and maintain confidential donor-related files and back up files to shared drives to facilitate the expeditious retrieval of information.
- Comply with the information privacy laws that insure the confidentiality, integrity and legitimate access to protected information.
- Adhere to the Association of Professional Fundraisers’ Code of Ethical Principles and Standards and the Donor Bill of Rights.
- Answer telephone, screen calls and refer callers to appropriate individuals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Develop and cultivate strong foundation and government partnerships to support the programs of Christian Relief Services Charities. The Development Manager will work most closely with the Director of Development and the Program Directors to research funding opportunities and develop proposals for funding by foundations and government agencies.
- Perform grant prospect research utilizing various online search engines, summarize findings, and develop an action plan for timely submission of proposals.
- Coordinate with the Program Directors and the Director of Development to submit timely proposals.
- Scour RFPs for make-or-break requirements, deadlines, contacts, page limits, format, attachments, notarizations, and delivery specs.
- Create and track schedules for contributors, graphic designer, reviewers, and signatories.
- Verify final proposals’ conformance with all RFP requirements.
- Package proposals and execute delivery by email, overnight mail, or hand as required by the RFP.
- Track grant submittals and grants secured utilizing the grants tracking database.
- A proven track record in proposal writing resulting in program funding and expansion.
- A track record of raising funds and implementing donor stewardship programs and other fundraising initiatives.
- Experience in using databases to manage donor information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of government and foundation grants process.
- Experience with online resources, including demonstrated success in identifying new philanthropic partners using electronic prospect research tools and grant submission/management/reporting systems.
- Superior time management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, English, or other related fields required. Must have a minimum of 3 years proposal writing and fundraising experience in a non-profit organization.
Other Desirable Qualifications:
Excellent interpersonal/phone skills, organization and proof-reading skills, and attention to detail. Ability to work with minimal supervision. Energetic and enthusiastic self-starter and the ability to relate well to a diverse audience of constituents. Ability to respond to changing circumstances and priorities in a focused manner.
- High level of proficiency with MS Office products including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Experience with CRM software a plus.
- Possess excellent writing skills, including knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Experience with non-profit organizations, program operations and board.
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form, and to establish rapport with donors, prospects, vendors and volunteers.
- Ability to maintain accountability and confidentiality and the ability to work independently.
- Must be responsible, dependable, well-organized, takes initiative, and demonstrate high integrity.
- Skills and abilities to coordinate and implement multiple projects and assess priorities.
- Proactively and assertively addresses issues as they arise and work to continuously improve procedures in the development department.
- Must be available to work flexible hours and travel to rural areas if needed.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the cultures and lifestyles of the communities served.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license and a car.
Requires regular, predictable attendance and punctuality is a must. Must be able to carry/lift up to 30 pounds and handle small equipment. Requires flexibility in hours of work that may include early morning, evening or weekend hours. Must be able to handle stressful situations and perform work requiring sustained concentration. Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people and situations. Must be able to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written materials, and articulate goals and action plans. Superb interpersonal skills including a sense of humor and ability to communicate professionally is expected. Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes for this position.
We offer competitive salaries and benefits which include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with match, tuition reimbursement, and apartment discounts. To apply, visit: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=6675921
Christian Relief Services Charities is an Equal Opportunity Employer.